What Are My Treatment Options For Heel Pain?
What Can I Do about my Heel Pain?
Chances are you have experienced heel pain at some point in your life. You don’t have to be an athlete to feel a stabbing pain in your heel. In fact, heel pain is most often experienced as a result of plantar fasciitis, or inflammation of the thick band of tissue called the plantar fascia which runs across your heel. You don’t have to deal with heel pain alone. Help is just a phone call away from your podiatrist, Dr. Eric Peters in White Plains, NY.
Heel pain can be caused by other conditions too, including heel spurs, which are hard calcium deposits on your plantar fascia. Stone bruises can cause heel pain by stepping on a sharp stone and bruising your heel. Inflammation of the area where your Achilles tendon connects to your heel can also be a main reason for heel pain.
Your White Plains dentist wants you to know whatever the reason for your heel pain, it may go away on its own, with a few helpful tips, including:
- Icing your heel 3 times a day for 15 minutes
- Taking over-the-counter pain medications
- Stretching your arches and Achilles tendon
- Using heel inserts and getting more supportive shoes
If your heel pain gets worse or doesn’t respond to home therapy, it’s time to call Dr. Peters. Some of his professional treatments available for heel pain include:
- Custom made orthotic devices
- Physical therapy and stretching exercises
- Plantar fasciotomy surgery--cutting and releasing a portion of plantar fascia tissue
- Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy--releasing a small part of the plantar fascia through two small incisions
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment--using pressure waves to treat your heel pain
Heel pain can be irritating and debilitating. It can keep you from enjoying your life; but it doesn’t have to keep you on the sidelines. It’s time to call an expert on heel pain. Your podiatrist, Dr. Eric Peters in White Plains, NY, is ready to help you get back on your feet, so call today!